The Garden Halls are set to close for refurbishment in August 2014:
• The University is providing no alternative accommodation for students hoping to stay in intercollegiate halls.
• The University refuses to even meet the workers to discuss the future of their jobs.
After repeated calls for negotiations have been ignored, the workers who clean and maintain your halls have been forced to consider strike action to protect their livelihoods. They need YOUR support!
The workers are calling for:
• No job losses: for all workers to be guaranteed employment elsewhere at the University
• Equal rights for all staff: this means equal sick pay, holidays and pensions for all outsourced workers.
• Recognition of their union, the Independent Workers of Great Britain (IWGB).
How you can support them:
• Write to the University demanding they negotiate with Garden Halls staff over the job losses and provide alternative accommodation for students during the refurbishments. Contact Martin.Burchett@london.ac.uk
• Raise money for the strike fund! Call in to the University of London Union and ask for Vice President Daniel Cooper if you wish to donate money.
• Simply talk to your cleaners and tell them that you support them!
• Sign our petition, take copies of it and pass it around your halls.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, and to sign the petition.
Download and print the flier here.