- Free advice, representation and legal support with workplace issues (from reps who work here at the University and who you can meet in person).
- The support of a Legal Department based in the branch office, and staffed by legally qualified volunteers and a full-time Coordinator.
- Support at employment tribunals.
- Free English or Spanish classes.
- Full voting rights at the monthly meetings where branch decisions are made.
- Unqualified backing from the central IWGB.
We’re showing that determined organising can win concrete results, and in future we’ll be concentrating on:
- Fighting for a proper 5% payrise for all staff in 2016
- Pressing for recognition with Ocean, Bouygues, Cordant and the University of London
Since the branch was founded in April 2013:
- 100s of members have been represented at disciplinaries and grievances – saving jobs, ending bullying and building confidence.
- We have taken numerous cases to Employment Tribunals, securing substantial payouts to members in the process
- Through the IWGB-supported 3 Cosas campaign, outsourced workers now get proper sick pay and holiday pay.
- Accredited WEA English classes have been provided, as well as conversation classes in both English and Spanish.
- We’ve built a campaigning structure (including social media, close partnerships with student bodies and other unions, and support from MPs) dedicated to improving working conditions and protecting jobs.
- Helped win the first increase in London Weighting at the central University for 20 years (though we still think we could have got more).
- Been at the forefront of the struggle to defend employees’ terms and conditions in the face of the University’s proposed plans for shared services.