If you could send the email below (or your own version) to email@example.com that would be great.
Dear Professor Sir Adrian Smith
As you know, the University of London has announced the closure of three of its intercollegiate Halls of Residence, with over 80 redundancies threatened, effective from 30 June 2014
Those facing redundancy include caterers, porters, cleaners and security guards – some of the most vulnerable workers at the University.
I am writing to you to support the demands of the workers’ union, the IWGB, which are:
- a guarantee of no compulsory redundancies
- length of service be respected
- full and meaningful consultation with the IWGB
- the same wage levels for any workers transferred to contracts outside the UoL
- the same terms and conditions for any transferred workers
I believe that the University bears responsibility for the treatment of these workers, regardless of the fact that their roles are contracted to private companies.
Many of these workers have been at the University for decades, and all of them deserve treating with respect and dignity.
Many thanks for your help