Salary £21,000, with the option of joining the Union’s pension scheme
Hours per week 37.5.
Accountable to: the Union’s Executive Committee. Direct line manager will be the IWGB President
The Independent Workers’ Union of Great Britain (IWGB) was founded in 2012. Outsourced workers in two of our London branches have won the London Living Wage, and through our widely supported 3 Cosas Campaign, members at the University of London also won sick leave, annual leave and pensions. Following the formation of two new branches in the last six months we are looking forward to further expansion and success in new campaigns. We are now recruiting a full-time Legal Department Coordinator to take responsibility in managing the increasing volume of casework and legal services undertaken by the Union’s new Legal Department, based at the Union’s headquarters in Central London. It is a managerial position in which relevant skills and past experience are essential to hit the ground running and work without constant oversight from Union executives. This is a great opportunity for a qualified and enthusiastic person committed to improving working conditions to engage in rewarding and socially meaningful work.
The main responsibilities of the post are as follows:
- ensuring Union members are matched with trade union reps
- ensuring the smooth operation of the IWGB Legal Department
- managing provision within specified budgets
- ensuring the quality of training and legal work in the Department
- guiding volunteer caseworkers through cases
- preparing tribunal claims
- undertaking litigation where necessary
- expanding the Union’s casework pool
- communicating with management (mostly via email and in formal meetings)
- data management and keeping members updated while acting in accordance to their needs
- helping to prepare bundles, documentation etc.
- instructing barristers for Employment Tribunal cases
- undertaking additional duties appropriate to the post within the ambit of the Legal Department
- provide legal surgeries/advice clinics to the public
Training and Development
The Legal Department Coordinator will have the chance to attend any of the numerous scheduled training events, and benefit from doing socially meaningful work in close co-operation with our Union’s members.
The ideal candidate will:
- hold a law degree and will have a good knowledge of UK employment law
- have extensive experience with employment-related case work
- have been an active member of a union or have knowledge of the trade union movement
- value the IWGB’s forceful approach and be personally committed to social justice and the improvement of working conditions
- have some supervisory and/or managerial experience
- have good computer skills including a knowledge of MS Office, and Excel
- have a high level of personal organisation and an ability to deal with a demanding and stressful job
Please include the following in an email to Jason Moyer-Lee (IWGB President) at Jasonmoyerfirstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter
- 2 references
The deadline for submission is 12 June – 17:00. Strong applicants will be scheduled for an interview in June, after which shortlisted applicants will be invited to meet with the Union’s National Executive. A decision will then be made for the successful candidate to fill the post from 6 July.