As a consequence of our recent rapid growth, expansion into new workplaces and increased campaign activity the University of London IWGB Branch is looking for a branch organiser and caseworker.
2 days a week initially, but increasing to at least 3 and possibly more in future. This is a permanent position.
The majority of our members are outsourced migrant workers, often with English as a second language, and as a consequence this requires a different approach to union organising than the traditional top down service model.
The role will involve:
- assisting our campaigns officer, including working on the ongoing University of London in-house campaign
- mapping workplaces and updating membership lists
- improving branch communication both through social media, email, text and Whatsapp and in person
- organising meetings
- organising and liaising with workers (particularly outsourced) to increase participation, resolve workplace issues and build branch capacity
- performing basic casework
The ideal candidate will:
- speak Spanish (essential)
- have experience of campaign organising
- have experience of working with and representing low-paid outsourced workers
- have some casework / employment law experience
- enjoy working with, enthusing and engaging workers from different backgrounds often working long hours in a variety of precarious jobs
BUT if you think you’re up for this then please do apply – the major essential requirements are enthusiasm and commitment to a tough but unbelievably worthwhile and rewarding job!
Everyone working for the IWGB gets paid London Living Wage + £1 (currently £11.20) and receives a good sick pay / holiday / pension package.