The IWGB’s annual branch meeting on 27 April, was attended by a capacity crowd at SOAS in London’s Bloomsbury.
It was the once-a-year chance for members to find out everything the branch had done in the last action-packed year; approve the union’s finances, stand for election, vote for our officers, and make plans for next year.
Just as important though, it was an opportunity to meet with colleagues, and to show their appreciation for the tireless volunteers and activists whose vital day-day-day role is instrumental in helping the union give its members a voice.
The AGM reflected the international make-up of the union at the most basic level. Conducted in English and Spanish (Spanish and English lessons are offered free of charge to all members), it demonstrated the power of unity and cohesion among its supporters.
Arguably the most important date in the branch calendar, the AGM was celebration of a highly democratic organisation that is doing something new, demanding national institutions do the same.
Ballots resulted in a refreshed line-up of officers and representatives. The new officers are as follows:
Delegates for central union AGM
- David Kalanzi
- Adbul Bakhsh
- Joe Trapido
- Rebecca Dooley
- Catalina Punguil
- Marty Steer
- Talitha Wachtelborn
- Mark Murphy
- Franki Cunha
Branch officials 2019
- Chair: Maritza Castillo Calle
- Secretary: Danny Millum
- Vice chair: Abdul Bakhsh
- Assistant secretary (job share): Rebecca Dooley and Mark Murphy
- Treasurer: Lindsey Caffin
- BME officer: David Kalanzi
- Women’s officer: Talitha Wachtelborn
- Recruitment officer: Abubakar Mohamed
- Education officer: Jamie Woodcock
- H&S officer: Jonathan Blaney
- Campaigns officer: Joe Maggs
- Trustees: George Orton and David Kalanzi