To bring you all up to date…
The current London Weighting offer had already been rejected by IWGB members prior to the open meeting held last Wednesday. At this meeting, a show of hands indicated that the vast majority of attendees were not satisfied with the current offer, and the meeting resolved:
- to produce a more detailed financial case to support the £4K NOW claim
- to ensure the Jan 15 All-Staff Meeting was dominated by London Weighting
- to look to all the unions to enter into dispute with the University and start to explore options re action we can take
- to start to build pressure re a press campaign
However, on the Thursday, UCU and UNISON announced that members had voted to accept the offer.
IWGB reserves the right to enter into dispute with the University over LW, and would like to do so if possible in concert with the other unions.
So what happens next?
It’s likely that the University will take this opportunity to declare the issue closed, and will announce that they will implement the first stage of the offer in the January or February payroll.
However, as our meeting clearly showed that large numbers are staff are still deeply unhappy with the current deal AND believed a better one could be won, we need to stress that
- the campaign will continue (see above)
- we need not be bound by an offer just because the University declares it to have been approved – certainly not an offer that runs to 2018!
- we will continue to press for the issue to be debated in a forum which allows all staff to participate
- we should definitely look to make the University justify its offer in detail at the Jan 15 All-Staff Meeting
- by their own admission, senior managers in HR have been very worried by the campaign, so continued pressure will make a difference
- union members wishing to keep the issue open should contact their respective officers