Our branch attended the a right to strike protest last week outside the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, whose Minister Sajid Javid is the author of the draconian new Trade Union Bill which passed its second reading on Monday night.
The bill, which would apply to unions in England, Wales and Scotland, will
- impose a minimum 50% turnout in strike ballots – with public sector strikes also requiring the backing of at least 40% of those eligible to vote.
- Double the amount of notice unions have to give before a strike can be held – from seven to 14 days
- Allow employers to use agency workers to replace striking staff
- Introduce fines of up to £20,000 on unions if pickets do not wear an official armband
- End the so-called check-off system for collecting union subs direct from a salary
The TUC has called for a day of action to fight the bill – we’ll keep you posted as to developments, but any questions do email email@example.com.