I understand that Gary has now left HEE (Health Education England), so I am addressing my response to his email to you – please feel free to forward as necessary.
I don’t want to get into too much detail, but to concentrate on issues where we are in agreement, namely that:
- Had there been no TUPE, UoL HEE staff were due to receive an annual payrise of 1.8% dated from 1 August 2019.
- Because of the TUPE, UoL HEE staff are scheduled to make substantially higher pension contributions from 1 August 2019.
- Post TUPE, UoL HEE staff will be much cheaper to make redundant than their AFC colleagues.
- This burden falls disproportionately upon level 4 staff at the top of their bands as they stand to lose over £4000 pa should they transfer to AFC under the current mapping arrangements.
In order to address these, can you therefore confirm that you will devote some of HEE’s estimated £2.1m annual VAT savings to:
- Guarantee that the 1 August 2019 payrise will be implemented.
- Compensate UoL HEE staff for pension hikes OR adjust their mapping onto AFC scales, either way ensuring no detriment.
- Confirm enhanced redundancy terms for UoL HEE staff to match those of AFC staff.
We would be happy to discuss this in person in the interests of reaching agreement, and look forward to hearing from you.
University of London IWGB