After an extended pause in its restructure, University caterer Aramark has this week imposed a new revised structure on staff. While there have been some changes, unnecessary redundancies are still planned. The IWGB has written to Aramark and the University to oppose these:
We have now seen the minutes of Monday’s meeting.
It is clear from these that Aramark and the University of London intend to press on with a number of completely avoidable ‘redundancies’.
- None of the questions raised in our initial response have been answered.
- No business case has been provided.
- No justification has been given for why this restructure could not wait for the opening of new café.
- No exploration of the impact of these changes on staff with protected characteristics has been attempted.
- No recognition has been made of the negative impact the absence of a café supervisor has already had
- No attempt has been made to halt the spread of zero-hours contracts at the University of London.
The law is clear that avoidable job losses are not redundancies at all.
Should these plans go ahead, we will advise our members that they have strong claims for unfair and/or constructive dismissal.